Friday, July 24, 2009

Me and Cinemalaya

Last night was another opportunity that my boss given to me. I was given a chance to watch Cinemalaya 2009 films for free along with other personnel involved in film showing and CMO activities in our office. It was my first time to watch indie films actually and my first time to go inside the CCP Complex. I was quite excited while travelling from Quezon City to Roxas Boulevard with the movie on my mind. We watched MANGATYANAN first around 6pm in the evening then NERSERI at around 9pm. Here are the synopsis:

MANGATYANAN

(The Blood Trail)Part Two of the CAMERA Trilogy
HIMALAYA “Laya” MARQUEZ has never had a complete dream since she was 12. Something always wakes her up at night. That something used to be her father, the famous photographer DANILO MARQUEZ, whose constant sexual abuse of Laya tore her family apart. Now, at 27, Laya possesses a cold exterior that hides torrents of pain. Working as a travel photographer, Laya is sent to Isabela to capture a rare harvest ritual called Mangatyanan by the Labwanan tribe. What Laya finds there, however, is a severely dwindled group held together by their desperate leader MANG RENATO. As Laya feels a connection between the tribe’s predicament and her own troubled life, a series of events soon brings her hidden emotions to the surface. Will she finally face her demons or will she keep running?

NERSERI


Cocoy ,12, takes on a great responsibility of taking care of his older siblings while his mother, Mai, goes to the province to get money to pay the expensive hospital bills for her three mentally sick children. His mother is gone for two weeks and Cocoy’s struggle in managing his personal, school and home life is a nerve-racking challenge. In the end he faces truth and life head-on as he fights for his own sanity.
(Thanks ate Charlottle Dianco for the complimentary tickets!)
Both are very good movies and I can really relate them to my so called life. Although some parts of the movies are not clear to me, it made me to think and ponder more about my life. Especially these times that I've been experiencing turmoil and I alone created. To quote Laya " Naniniwala ako sa Diyos, pero tao lang ang alam kong demonyo."

No comments:

Post a Comment